Layered jewelry has become a hot trend, from stacked rings to mixed bangles. Another popular layered jewelry trend is layering necklaces. Layering necklaces is a great way to combine multiple necklaces into a single, unique look.
There a variety of ways to layer necklaces. Following a few basic steps will help you create a layered style that looks great.
- Start by deciding what style you want to achieve. Do you want a delicate, feminine look or something more edgy?
- Decide on the number of layers you want to incorporate. You can create a beautiful layered necklace with as few as two or three strands, or if you want to create a heavier look, you can add several more.
- Start with your shortest layer and work down. Your shortest layer should be around 14 to 16 inches long. Select something simple and sleek for this layer, such as a solitaire or simple chain.
- Incorporate one statement piece into your layers to act as the focal point. Your other layers should coordinate with this layer. A statement piece is usually used as one of your middle layers.
- Add the longer layers last. Each layer should be a little longer than the previous layer. Your longest layer should be about 30 inches or less.
When it comes to which types of necklaces to combine, there are no hard and fast rules. Sticking with a single color of metal will look more coordinated, but mixing metals is certainly acceptable and can provide beautiful results. Selecting pieces that are similar in style will look more cohesive and planned, while combining styles will create contrast for a more dramatic look.
Finding the right combination of necklaces can take some time and practice. To test out possible combinations, consider hanging them on a hook or hanger. This will make it faster and easier to see what works and what doesn’t than trying them on yourself, which will require fastening and unfastening each clasp.